Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Master Bath is now 90% finished!!

I still have plenty do do, but at least it's functional again!! I don't have before pictures, (though if I had a scanner, I could scan the prints and post them) but I can tell you it looked sterile. Everything was white!! White painted walls, small white painted vanity with one sink, white countertop, cheap white cabinet at the toilet, white vinyl floor, white4" x 4" tile in the shower...white, white, white.

Here are the "after" pics.

After removing the old vinyl, the first major project was to remove the old vanity and pull the plumbing around to the side wall, where I had room now for a double vanity. My dad helped out a lot with this part of the job, and it took an extended weekend to complete the job. I then installed the new cabinets, which I had made by a cabinet builder who is under contract with the company I work for, then had our countertop company install the cultured marble vanity top. I then installed the fixtures after work over the next couple of evenings. I still have to move the vanity lights and install a new mirror, as I am using a small temporary mirror at the sink I use.


Next came the floor tile. I spent some time laying out the tile and cutting the edge pieces to fit before actually laying the tile. I pulled the toilet, laid the tile underneath, and reinstalled it with new anchor bolts and parts after grouting the tile. I still have to cut off the tops of the anchor bolts so I can put the cap covers back on, touch up the paint on the walls, and caulk and paint the new base. The cabinet above was installed with the vanity cabinets.

I tore out the old shower tile and wall board, tore out the arch over the entry of the shower and reframed it so I could install a shower door, reframed the back wall for the recess, retiled the shower using the 12 x 12 floor tile, regrouted, and reinstalled the fixtures. Now all I need is the shower door. I'm using a shower curtain in the meantime.

It took awhile to figure out the exact dimensions to frame the recess, as I wanted it to fall into the field of the rest of the shower tile. I didn't get it exactly, but I got it close enough. The grout is dardker in the resess since it has been sealed with silicone.

So there you go. It's been about a year long remodel, but it's made a huge difference in my master bathroom, and should help boost my resale value, though I don't plan on moving out of my house for some time. I would like to build my next house like I'm building my parents house.

Until later,

No comments: